Young adults have active lifestyles that often involve busy social lives, tight budgets, and constraints on free time. The thought of braces often evokes concerns over price, appearance, and treatment method. Furthermore, young adults also have fears about the duration of treatment and the general maintenance of braces.
Invisalign clear braces are putting many of these concerns to rest. In fact, the discreet and affordable teeth straightening solution provided by Invisalign is ideal for young adults 18 to 24 years old that do not suffer from severe malocclusions (or misaligned teeth).
The beauty of Invisalign is its capability to achieve nearly the same straightening results as traditional braces without having to wear the obvious metal wire latticework. Not only are these teeth straightening aligners virtually invisible, patients rave about how comfortable they are to wear. Let’s review some wonderful features of Invisalign, how it works, and why Invisalign is ideal for young adults.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a name brand of a series of durable polyurethane teeth aligners that are transparent and used to treat dental malocclusions. These clear aligners are nearly invisible, therefore they make an ideal option for anyone who wants to straighten their smile without wearing obvious metal brackets.
Clear trays, or aligners, are unlike traditional metal or clear braces that are cemented and bonded to the teeth. Invisalign aligners can be removed for brushing, flossing, eating, and drinking. The only drawback to being able to remove the Invisalign aligners is that sometimes patients might be tempted to take the aligners off and leave them out of their mouth for more time than advised. Most orthodontists recommend the aligners stay in place for 20 to 22 hours per day.
How Do Young Adults Benefit from Invisalign?
The Invisalign System offers a number of benefits to patients, especially young adults 18 to 24 years old, including the following:
- Bruxism (Teeth-Grinding) Protection: Patients are instructed to wear their orthodontic aligners through the nighttime, which means Invisalign also serves as a guard to protect the teeth from jaw clenching and grinding during sleep.
- Subtle Appearance: Young adults love the clear Invisalign trays that are not noticed by their peers, unless they choose to point out that they are wearing them.
- Freedom of Food Choice: The fact that the Invisalign aligners are removed for eating and drinking means that patients have no restrictions on their diet, as compared to considerations that have to be made with the wires and brackets of regular braces.
- Comfortable to Wear: The thin and flexible material used in the Invisalign aligners makes them comfortable for all-day wear and does not cause irritation to the soft tissue inside the mouth.
- Better Oral Hygiene: Invisalign aligners are completely removed from the mouth for brushing and flossing, which makes them a more hygienic option that allows for deeper teeth cleaning during treatment as opposed to traditional braces.
- Cost-Effective: Invisalign is a more affordable option than traditional braces in terms of the product price and ongoing maintenance/dentist visits.
Drawbacks to Invisalign Treatment
Even though there are many advantages to Invisalign, there are also some disadvantages, including:
- Invisalign is Not Appropriate for All Malocclusions: Young adults that suffer from mild to moderate misalignments are suited for Invisalign treatment. Problems such as large tooth spacings, severe overbites, extremely tipped teeth, and severe teeth rotations may not be corrected with Invisalign. Talk with your dentist to find out if you’re a good candidate.
- Orthodontists have Less Control: Traditional braces provide the orthodontist more control over the movement and correction of the teeth.
- Improper Care can Lead to Tooth Decay: Because the aligners can trap plaque and bacteria against the teeth, it’s important that young adults take their oral care during treatment seriously. The trays need to be brushed and rinsed and ongoing proper oral hygiene needs to ensue in order to prevent cavities.
Visit Cascade Dental to Learn More about Invisalign Treatment
Worldwide, Invisalign treatment has transformed the lives of teens and young adults. If you are ready to take the first step to see if Invisalign is right for you, call us today at 360-892-2994 or make an appointment online to be seen at our Vancouver, Washington dental office.